Michael L. Turney, Ph.D., ABC
Professor Emeritus of Communication
& Independent Consultant
In addition to teaching and academic administration, my career included news writing, government public information, hosting radio and TV talk shows, conducting public relations and promotional campaigns, and producing multi-media planetarium and museum programs. My titles, employers, and target audiences varied, but I was always trying to provide useful information in a meaningful context.
Now, I'm retired and I'm still doing that, but I have more freedom, flexibility and fun because I'm doing it as an independent consultant and/or volunteer.
ABC - Accredited Business Communicator
International Association of Business Communicators
Ph.D. in mass communication
University of Iowa School of Journalism
Being retired doesn't mean
I'm not working.
It means I can choose
what I work on and when.
My decades at NKU were quite a ride.
From the early days when Nunn Hall was the only building on the Northern Kentucky State College campus to the frustration of preparing Northern Kentucky University for SACS re-accreditation was like a thrill-filled roller coaster ride. Sometimes I laughed; sometimes I cried. And, sometimes, I wanted to scream. But, I loved the joys and satisfactions of teaching.
Now, I'm officially retired and take delight in being able to ...
- write and produce whatever I choose;
- read for pleasure instead of necessity;
- travel leisurely and without a locked-in itinerary; and
- live without a wristwatch.
Among my post-retirement projects have been ...
- developing an educational game about Ancestral Puebloan migration in the 12th century;
- producing a Ken Burns-style documentary about the Sisters of Charity nurses who served during the Civil War;
- giving public lectures and radio interviews about radio news coverage of World War II;
- participating in more than a half-dozen multi-photographer photo exhibits;
- conducting a strategic public relations planning workshop for the American Association of Port Authorities;
- coaching candidates who tested for and successfully achieved IABC professional accreditation; and
- recruiting and training local field workers for the U.S. Census Bureau.
If you need a communication consultant, teacher, or presenter,
I'm particularly adept at strategic public relations planning,
hands-on writing workshops, and
explaining the socio-cultural impacts of mass media.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org .
2 October 2017